Last Updated on November 28, 2025 10:37 pm by BIZNAMA NEWS

India launches major relief operation under the name Operation Sagar Bandhu

AMN NEWS DESK

At least 69 people have been reported dead while 34 remain missing as adverse weather continues to batter different parts of Sri Lanka. The persistent low-pressure system remains anchored over the island, pulling in moisture-heavy winds and generating repeated waves of intense rainfall. Soil across the highlands is fully saturated, making slopes unstable, while major reservoirs are nearing or exceeding capacity, report local Daily Mirror.

To ease difficulties faced by the public during the prevailing disaster, mobile service providers have agreed not to deactivate telephone connections until 29 November. They have also committed to offering free calling for a limited number of minutes and free internet data when prepaid balances drop to Rs. 10, helping people maintain contact during the crisis.

President declares key services as essential amid disaster

President Anura Kumara Dissanayake has issued an extraordinary gazette notification declaring several critical services as essential services. Among the services classified as essential are electricity supply, the supply and distribution of petroleum products and fuel, including gas, as well as hospitals, water supply, and public transport services.

Sri Lanka invites overseas and foreign contributions for disaster relief

The government has announced that Sri Lankans residing overseas and foreign nationals can contribute to relief efforts for those affected by the ongoing disaster situation in the country. The President’s Media Division said that designated bank account details are available at Sri Lankan diplomatic missions abroad and at foreign missions based in Sri Lanka.

To facilitate donations, two separate accounts have been established to accept contributions in both local currency and US Dollars. The Disaster Management Centre (DMC) reported that a total of 61 persons have died and 25 remain missing as severe weather continues to affect the country. According to the DMC, the ongoing adverse conditions, which began on 16 November, have so far impacted 43,991 individuals from 12,313 families across the country. Airports and Aviation Services (Sri Lanka) Limited has issued an important notice for passengers arriving at Bandaranaike International Airport due to adverse weather conditions affecting several access roads.

To minimize congestion within the airport premises, authorities have also requested that passengers avoid bringing visitors to the terminal during this period.

India launches major relief operation under the name Operation Sagar Bandhu

In response to the growing humanitarian emergency, India has launched a major relief operation under the name Operation Sagar Bandhu. Maritime assets including INS Vikrant and INS Udayagiri – already docked in Colombo – have delivered bulk shipments of relief supplies, including several tonnes of dry and fresh rations as well as other essential goods for affected communities. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in a post on X, conveyed his heartfelt condolences to the people of Sri Lanka who have lost their loved ones due to Cyclone Ditwah, and said he prays for the safety, comfort and swift recovery of all affected families. He added that India has urgently dispatched relief materials and vital HADR support under Operation Sagar Bandhu, and reaffirmed that New Delhi stands ready to provide more aid and assistance as the situation evolves, underscoring India’s commitment under its Neighbourhood First policy and maritime vision. The relief mission comes at a critical time as Sri Lanka struggles with relief and rescue operations, with the worst-hit regions experiencing rainfall well above 500 millimeters in 24 hours. The authorities have said weather conditions will continue to remain grim as the cyclone moves north northwestwards and is expected to exit the island by tomorrow. Indian Prime Narendra Modi said that India remains ready to help Sri Lanka at this time of disaster . In a post on X, he said ,”My heartfelt condolences to the people of Sri Lanka who have lost their loved ones due to Cyclone Ditwah. I pray for the safety, comfort and swift recovery of all affected families.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *